Thursday, May 14, 2015

Bluebonnets, Clouds, and a Clear Path.




Surely the whole world is aware that among the many things Texas is known for is its Bluebonnets, that brilliant cornflower blue blossom that covers many a central Texas field and hillside in spring, plus many Texas roadsides.  The tradition of packing up the kids and carting them off to the best field of bluebonnets, along with the camera, the tripod, and the family dog is common to families.  Cars will line the highway shoulders, as families tromp out to the perfect spot for the pose.  This spring especially after the tremendous amount of winter, then spring rains, the blue fields flourished. 

I saw several photos on Facebook this spring of a particular field near Muleshoe, Texas.  Someone has called it the "Field of Dreams".  I received Taylor Kelly's permission to use her photo which was so beautiful and try my hand at painting it.  I've added my own touch to it, including a limestone bluff which is common in the Texas Hill Country.  When I paint this again, I will move the road to the right about an inch.  There's just something about focus being in the center of the painting that is not a pleasing as it being a bit "cockeyed".  This is a 24"X30" oil. 

Clouds.  I really love clouds.  One cannot be precise when painting them.  A loose wrist,  an imperfect edge.  Clouds really are not all white. There's yellow and pink and gray, and I'm sure many other colors I'm yet to learn about.  It was fun to fill the majority of this canvas in clouds.

This painting is laden with clouds yet full of promises fulfilled.  Growth, beauty, peace, clearness of path.  That's the way life can be.  Clouds everywhere, but peeks of blue sky and goodness.  God is gracious and full of mercies.  Even if our path is clouded, He provides all that we need to travel this path of life. 

Proverbs 4:26
Watch the path of your feet and all your ways will be established.




2 comments: