Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Country Living



"Elaine's Barn" for my sister...Elaine.  She has this hanging over her fireplace in Oklahoma which is a real honor for me.  This barn is reminiscent of our Grandpa Hall's barn where we spent many fun times as kids on his farm a short walk from Bayou Bartholomew in Louisiana.  Those memories are the best.  Too many kids today have no idea what kid life can be like.  Sad.  

I love the peace and quiet out here in the country, after so many years in the rat race near Houston.   We live at the end of a cul-de-sac on the edge of our subdivision (yes, it is a subdivision, though in the country) next to a pipeline/power easement. Tall pine trees surround us and across that easement are farms.  I love to watch the birds that come to feed at my feeder(s).  Once in the midst of the terrible drought, a thirsty Pileated Woodpecker came onto our deck for a drink of water.  If you've never seen one it is quite awesome......they are HUGE!  This is also bluebird haven.  We have a bb house and it has been home to, I would venture to say, 100 bb's in these 8 years.  It's funny how they seem to all come back occasionally for a family reunion.  No kidding.  One night the scream of a bobcat pierced the quiet which was hair-raising indeed, and sadly in the midst of those screams were tiny yelps.  That was not peaceful.  A large lake is within easy walking distance.  We have deer and fox and possum and raccoons.  I swear I saw bear tracks once.  I spoke of the drought.  I was so amazed the spring after the drought, I had never seen so many wildflowers.  Could that have a spiritual connotation?  Something like the rainbow after the storm?

We are fortunate to live in a place like this.  Even in such a setting, peace in these difficult days can be elusive, but there is a peace that transcends all understanding.  Knowing Jesus, realizing who we are in Him...that's true peace.  




These things I have spoken to you, (said Jesus), that in Me you may have peace.  In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.
John 16:33


 







No comments:

Post a Comment